Visiting the high desert last week, I found good coffee, easy wifi and friendly people at The Grind. Check out the amazing baked goods case (photo below)!
Coffee: Very Good
Food: Very Good
Wifi: Effortless, solid
Ambience/Decor: Comfortable, with indoor and outdoor seating
Ambience/Business: Good for solo work and small meetings
Service: Friendly, gracious
Clientele: Locals and businesspeople
Bathroom: Clean, with a chair for your stuff
I had a flavorful latte, and later, tea and a delicious, fresh tasting piece of carrot cake. However, my number one impression of The Grind is the friendly people. Not only were the staff cordial and welcoming, but the clientele, too. One woman saw me looking for a place to plug in my computer and insisted I take her spot near an outlet. Later, when I asked for permission to photograph the bakery case, the owner, Nora Tannert, came over and chatted for a few minutes. She’s proud of her shop and her community, and has every right to be.
The Grind Coffee House
12111 Apple Valley Rd.
Apple Valley CA 92308
Penina’s Wifi Etiquette
- Buy stuff. Do I really need to say this? After seeing otherwise with my own eyes, it turns out I do. My rule of thumb is to buy something about every two hours.
- Be gracious. Your two coffees and a scone aren’t doing all that much to pay the rent for the hours you spend in a café. Help make it a friendly, welcoming place so they can attract and keep more customers.
- Follow the rules. Busy urban areas limit wifi use because higher costs require them to generate quicker turnover. Sometimes plug placement is limited: if your power cord is a tripping hazard, then don’t use it (or negotiate with the wifier closer in to swap locations so you can charge up).
- Be considerate. Go outside to make phone calls.
- Be very considerate. Your laptop should not make a sound—not even little beeps: use headphones. Same for the radio you brought to follow the game.
- Tip generously. And tip again if you’re there through a shift change.
- Buy Design
- Cool Stuff
- Creative Process
- Design for Surfaces
- In Brief
- Learning All the Time
- Making Projects Work
- My photos
- My Wifi Life
- Pattern Design
- Product Development
- Social Networks
- Tech Innovation
- Textile Design
- The Boy
- User Experience
- User Experience Design
- Web Design
Penina is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.